Smart Eating Lunchbox Recipes
Aromatic Freekeh and Capsicum Delight
- 1/2 cup red capsicum
- Finely diced 1/2 cup green capsicum
- Finely diced 1/2 cup red onion
- Finely diced 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- Chopped 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Chopped 1 cup roasted cracked wholegrain freekeh
- 3 cups of reduced salt vegetable stock
- 400g canned 4 bean mix, drained and rinsed
- Place 1 cup of washed roasted cracked whole grain freekeh in a medium sized pan
- Add 3 cups of vegetable stock to freekeh and bring contents almost to a boil on medium heat
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan and allow to cook for 25 to 30 minutes until soft
- Set aside the freekeh and allow to cool down
- Once cooled, toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
Zesty Thai Noodle Salad
1/2 cup edamame beans (fresh or frozen)
1 packet of vermicelli rice noodles
1 Coleslaw mix from supermarket, leave out the dressing
1 packet mixed leaves
1 cup snow peas, sliced on an angle
1 red capsicum, sliced
2 spring onion stems, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
1 large handful coriander, chopped with stalks
1 large handful of mint, removed from stem
½ cup of bean shoots
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp fish sauce
- In a bowl, pour boiling hot water over rice noodles and edamame. Sit for 5 minutes or until cooked. Drain well.
- In a separate serving bowl, add noodles, edamame, coleslaw mix, leaves, capsicum, avocado, spring onion, mint, coriander and snow peas and toss ingredients.
- Mix salad ingredients in a jar and pour over salad.
- Toss well.
- Finish by laying bean shoots on top of salad.
- Serve with dressing.
Please enter your email address to subscribe to our newsletters.